Saturday, November 13, 2004

Conference topics

We just had a set of individual conferences with students today in 101. Several students brought questions or raised topics that I would like to share with the rest of the class. Below is a list of links that will help students find answers to those questions or to explore those topics.

1. Grammar-Many students ask me for help with this subject. While many would argue against the wisdom in explicitly teaching grammar, I strongly believe it can be a valuable tool if done well. While I do plan to make grammar a part of my class eventually at this point, I have yet to develop a good way to teach explicit grammar to students. Sorry but here are some links I found that might help until I figured it out.
Guide to Writing and Grammar
Modern English Grammar
Guide to Grammar and Style

2. What percentage of people in the US speak English? Great question and one for the census. Here is a link that gives percentages and other information about the US and Language.
A Guide for the Perplexed

3. Who are the neocons and what do they think?
Douglas Feith Straight from the horses mouth!
The Men Behind the Curtain Long but informational. You might suppose that it is somewhat against the neocon point of view if you could make it through the article without falling asleep or dying.
Neocons' Timeline to Iraq War Lots of good information.

Please help me evaluate these links. Let me know with what and if these links were helpful to you. Can you suggest any other links that might be helpful?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home